Home » Indonesia

Why White People Love Bali

Written By: FOXY on October 12, 2009 13 Comments

KutaBali is an Indonesian island that has many similarities with other small South Eastern Asian countries. As you enter the crazy streets of Kuta (the most touristy portion of the island) you’re immersed in a sea of motorbikes zigzagging, noisy drunken Australians on the prowl, small stores selling tourist garbage, women offering special massages and men offering marijuana or underage girls. The Kuta area doesn’t seem to be anything like the travel channel showed of this supposedly culturally rich island, instead it seems more like Tijuana, Mexico with tropical beaches. For the real Balinese culture you have to venture deep into the island to the places tourists never go. Soon I’ll be hitting the road to feel the real Bali on my newly rented motorcycle!

For now let’s get back to the topic of this post. Why do so many white people love Bali? As you roam through the streets it’s a sea of Australians everywhere.  Mind you, they’re all white, not a black (African decent) person is anywhere; I’m not exactly sure why, but this is obviously a white tourist destination. There are so many reasons people love this island, the cheap accommodations, the breathtaking beaches, the wonderful Balinese cuisine, the cheap booze and smokes, the warm friendly hospitality, the incredibly inexpensive massages, etc.

In-Kuta-Australian-Girls-with-Bali-BoysBali is even more of a paradise for white women than it is for men. Here in Indonesia, women can have any type of spa treatment they desire at prices easily 1/10 of their native country, all the while in a rejuvenating and invigorating environment that is far different from home.  Australia has recently taken the crown of fattest nation in the world but here in Bali, women have their pick of men on this island. Everyday on the beaches in Kuta, you can see muscular men easily outnumber women 3 to 1. Many women on holiday meet a local man or an Australian surfer boy to be their holiday boyfriend. It’s obvious that here in Bali, the woman is the Queen!

YunitaThat’s not to say that there’s no action for a guy here but if you don’t have serious “game” then I’d recommend you bring your wife or girlfriend if you’re visiting and want some romance. If you’re like me and role solo your options are somewhat more limited than Asian countries like Thailand where finding a girlfriend is as easy as walking outside your hotel room.  I started dating an absolutely stunning girl that works at the front desk of my original hotel, more on that in a future post.

Since arriving here I’ve been taking taxi’s everywhere I go.  On that first cab ride of 10 minutes the meter stopped at 23,000 and I was thinking, oh man $23, that’s expensive.  When I recalculated the proper exchange rate I realized the ride was only a very cheap $2.30 USD!  Riding in taxis is convenient, cheap and efficient, but for the exploring I want to do, I need my own wheels.  So to really get immersed in the lands far, far away I rented a large size motorcycle, a Honda Tiger, for $7.50 USD a day.

Stupid-dumbasses-dnacing-in-kuta-baliI also moved out of Kuta to get far away from the typical Australian club idiots pictured here to the right, to the Sanur beach area, which is quieter and more tranquil on the South Eastern side of Bali.  I’m staying in a huge traditional Balinese villa complete with a garden and an outdoor shower for $600,000 Rupiah ($60 USD) a night.  The place is nice, complete with marble floors and 20 feet ceilings but it is aging, with older furniture and creaky doors.  For another week or so I’ll call it home.

So that brings me full circle, I’ve accomplished lots of business while here and am now doing some serious relaxing.  At $5 USD, I’ve been getting one or two full body Balinese massages a day.  I’ve also been hanging at the beach getting tan, doing some relaxing swimming and speding time with my new girlfriend.  Today I’m off to go do more of then same – it’s a rough life.  Soon I’ll venture out to the under-developed portions of the island where I hope to take in the old world, true cultural side of Bali.

Thanks for reading,

//-FOXY-\\

13 Responses to “Why White People Love Bali”

1. Aunt Mary Ann says on: 16 October 2009 at 9:13 pm

Sounds great. Soak up a little sun for me and a swim also.
    What kind of food do they have? Love to you. Mary Ann

2. Ang says on: 20 October 2009 at 4:57 am

Hey Jason,
    It is time for you to update this blog as well as send us some pictures and tell us about the food!!! We are waiting!Glad you are having a great time but please, we are living vicariously through you! XO :)

3. Bali person says on: 20 April 2011 at 5:35 am

white people’s food is available all over the place.

4. I Love Bali says on: 24 May 2011 at 11:14 am

I am an Aussie and I just read your post, and I don’t appreciate you referring to us Australians as typical drunken idiots, and a Sea of White Australians roaming around. We have been visited Bali on many occasions and yes you get your typical “drunken Aussie” roaming around, but you neglect to mention the rude arrogant New Zealanders that think they own the place and can ruin anything they want, or the Harsh Brash Americans, that are so rude and pass the Balinese off as if they are flys and not to forget the Japanese that take over the shops and streets and don’t dare to move off the side walk cause they may mess up their fake Jimmy Choo’s or the English that lay on their bums expecting everything to be served to them on a silver platter…so you need to check yourself before you pass judgement on us “Aussies” Oh and you are disgusting for mentioning your “girlfriend” as if she was a piece of easy meat? I’m a mum and you have made me extremley mad with your post, so I hope you do go off and explore the cultural side of Bali and in the process fall off a cliff! Anda Banci!

5. petew says on: 25 May 2011 at 4:37 am

Hey Foxy
    When are you heading to Australia??? Have you been to Australia???? you sound British, would i be correct???Would it be possible for to ensure you dont incrimate any other nations as you have in your blog above. You are obviously the educated kid of fellow, so im thinking why you were taught ethics etc at university. If you didnt go to uni, how are you funding your treck? Is mummy or daddy paying? i could go on but, whats the point.. When you do eventually come to australia ( as all english people seem to be doing) let me know so me and all my other aussie friends can catch up with you and show you a good time.. be safe……

6. FOXY says on: 28 May 2011 at 11:49 am

@petew: No my trip is self funded. Read my FAQ at the top or the “How to make Money while Traveling” article up top to see how I do it. Yes, I’ll be visiting Australia in the future.

@I love Bali: I’m glad you love Bali, so do I. You need to relax a bit in your commenting. I didn’t say ALL Aussies are idiots, only the ones clubbing in Bali are. They are typically young, drunk and stupid – not a good combo. You can see the same sort of idiot behavior in Americans in Tijuana, Mexico. Get my point?

As to the cultural side of Bali, yes I did see it. Don’t be so quick to judge next time, ok?

One Day Escape to Lembongan Island

Is Bali Paradise?

and my favorite: A Motorycycle Adventure into Balinese Culture

• Brian says on: 17 February 2012 at 3:11 am

Yo Foxy!

Just wanted to know what’s your approx. annual budget for your current lifestyle. I’m contemplating making the jump!

Any feedback would be great!

7. Tai says on: 9 August 2011 at 11:12 pm

Interesting comments and great post. I went to Bali last year and was exposed to exactly the same thing that you describe in your post. I was truly shocked to see the streets run over with drunk Australians on motorbikes! Plus no one prepared me for the aggressive shop owners who call out to you as you walk by. I took to walking along the beach to get to my destinations instead of on the streets to get away from all the solicitations. Your take on Kuta is the part of Bali they never talk about on the Travel Channel or in the guide books!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Get Foxy – World Travels Blog » Blog Archive » Dating in the Philippines for the Single Man