Home » Thailand

Fantastic Thai Food & Drinks

Written By: FOXY on November 19, 2009 7 Comments

I’ve gotten a few requests to see some of the food I’ve been eating so here’s the lowdown.

IMG_0380Today I had lunch at a local Thai restaurant here in Koh Samui, Thailand.

I ordered a fresh banana shake with some added chocolate as well as some steamed rice and a plate of cashew nut chicken with delicious mixed vegetables.  I forgot to specify spicy so I decided to order a second dish.

IMG_0381This dish, pork with basil and spicy chilies is one of my favorites.  Not only is the taste wonderful, but the health benefits of the anti-oxidant and free radical fighting basil herb is legendary.  The tasty banana shake, rice and two meals came in at a total price of $5.90 but would have been much closer to $3 at a restaurant not catering to westerners!

IMG_0382Ok, next up is what I’ve been drinking.  Here is a photo of my trip today to “Family Mart” to stock up on drinks for my micro-fridge. A bottle of green tea, a chocolate milk, a 100% strawberry juice box, a can of Lipton ice tea and a bottle of Brighty mangosteen juice.  Total price?  How about $2 USD for all 5!

IMG_0362Here is a tasty meal I enjoyed in my Tiger hotel room shortly before leaving Phuket.  The meal in the background, was a Thai spicy beef salad with fresh vegetables and exceptionally tender beef.  The beer I ordered, Phuket beer, has a much better and more unique flavor than the common national beer alternatives such as Chang (elephant), Tiger, Singha and San Miguel.  Phuket Beer is currently the only Thai beer brewed according to the German purification laws or Reinheitsgebot, and has recently won a gold medal award in the category of best lager by the Monde Selection organisation.  This meal was ultra expensive by Thai standards due to the fact it was room-service from a higher end hotel but that only equates to $8 USD!

IMG_0305The last food item is some dessert I had in the new and exclusive Avenue shopping center in Pattaya, Thailand.  It’s not often I order dessert and that makes it all the more enjoyable when I do.  I can still taste the awesome rasberry cheesecake and chocolate ice cream’s sweet taste as I write this.  $3 USD settled the bill for my sugar high.

7 Responses to “Fantastic Thai Food & Drinks”

1. ang says on: 19 November 2009 at 9:41 am

Hi J,
    Thanks for the food update!
    It makes me want to go eat Thai food soon!
    Where will you be for Christmas and NY?
    XO Ang

2. Aunt Jane says on: 19 November 2009 at 3:48 pm

Wow, you are making my mouth water!! Wish I could try some of those yummy looking dishes. We are out in Reno visiting John and his family for 2 weeks. Much sunnier than in Michigan! Love and miss you, Aunt Jane

3. Frank says on: 19 November 2009 at 5:55 pm

J,
    She’s right, it was cloudy most of the day in MI, getting ready to settle in for 6 months of winter :-)
    The leaves have all fallen, but thankfully no snow yet.
    A couple of months ago I ordered a Tiger beer w/ my Thai food, it wasn’t my favorite. I’ll have to try to remember the Phuket Beer for next time.
    Amazing prices! Thanks for sharing,
    Frank

4. Aunt Mary Ann says on: 21 November 2009 at 2:18 pm

HI: Thai food is wonderful. I meet a friend of mine at a Thia
    rest. in EL and love there food. Have a great trip and wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving. will eat some turkey for you. Oh, sunny here today. Aunt Mary Ann

5. Helen McHargue says on: 23 November 2009 at 10:38 am

That chocolate ice cream looks very chocolaty. Love the pork dish and the lovely vegetable carving. Those Thai cooks make everything look beautiful. Happy Thanksgiving. Forecast
    is for 80 in Fallbrook on Thursday.

Cookie

6. Jan Lemkow says on: 25 November 2009 at 12:29 pm

I shouldn’t have read this post of yours. I’ve been eating scrambled eggs & mashed potatoes for the last 5 days due to a tooth issue… and now I’m drooling!! :-)

Jan

7. Jan Lemkow says on: 1 December 2009 at 9:52 am

Jason,

All those dishes look wonderful!!! I can almost taste them.

Jan