Home » Vietnam

Luxury cruise through Halong Bay, Vietnam

Written By: FOXY on June 13, 2010 9 Comments

Waking up at 7AM is never fun for me but today, I had a special day booked.  After a hearty breakfast at the Hanoi Elegance Hotel 5, a mini-bus arrived to take me on a four hour journey to Halong Bay.  After a 20 minute stop half-way on the trip and some napping, I arrived port side.

At Noon, I met the six other people I’d be sharing the Red Dragon traditional “junk” cruise ship with.  Two Doctors that were married, two Swiss ladies from the World Economic Forum, a psychologist from Australia, the wife of the former owner of Colliers and of course, yours truly!

The 2 day / 1 night cruise was phenomenal.  The scenery was inspiring and my shipmates were a real pleasure.  For meals, we dined on a seemingly never ending parade of delectable Vietnamese inspired courses.

On the first day we visited an island with a cave, went kayaking for about 45 minutes and then did some swimming before returning to the boat.  After the fun in the sun we all did some light drinking and shared stories while waiting for our evening parade of foods to arrive.

The next day at 6:30 AM I woke up to the sound of the engine firing up.  I thought to myself that it sure would be nice to just roll over and go back to sleep but instead I decided to “man up” and roll out of bed.  It helped that I knew breakfast was served at 7:15 and somehow I had a strong feeling that it was going to be a fantastic start to the day.

We cruised a short distance towards a fishing village and met some Halong bay locals.

The pictures I snapped with my Canon 70-300mm zoom lens turned out stunning.  Over the course of two days I shot over 450 photos but was able to reduce it down to only the top 10% to share with you.

See the top 40 pictures from Halong Bay here!  Then, please leave me a comment…

9 Responses to “Luxury cruise through Halong Bay, Vietnam”

1. wayne brown says on: 14 June 2010 at 9:53 pm

That sure is a nice boat and your accomidations are really
    first rate…..enjoy your pictures and travelogue…keep having a good time.

2. Sally Cook says on: 14 June 2010 at 11:46 pm

Glad you thought your ” boat companions” were fun!We thought you fun!! A fabulous experience for ll on board! Keep safe and love the photo’s especially this one!!

3. Samantha says on: 15 June 2010 at 8:04 am

Hello,

Back in Switzerland with a lot of memories !

Nice to meeting you and thank you so much for the pictures !

Keep in touch !

Samantha

4. Helen McHargue says on: 15 June 2010 at 9:22 pm

Hi Jason. Glad to see you blogging again. Sounds like your Vietnam stay was lots of fun.
    Happy Birthday!

Cookie

5. Aunt Judy says on: 17 June 2010 at 8:13 am

“Happy Birthday”

6. Ranjit and Danuta Chacko says on: 20 June 2010 at 9:19 pm

Hi Jason,
    Great photos,we too had a great time with you and our wonderful group on The Red Dragon,.We are safely back in Houston after a long journey,great memories of Southeast Asia.
    Happy Birthday !
    Ranjit

7. Jason says on: 23 June 2010 at 6:05 am

Thank you all for the great comments! I’ll be updating with my posts shortly!

8. Jim says on: 8 July 2010 at 12:10 pm

Wow, that cruise looks amazing. Great blog, keep it up!

9. sofia johnson says on: 9 November 2010 at 9:02 am

If you are on break and you want to go on an adventurous trip one thing you can try is to choose the best quality of experience by having nice and wonderful cruise.