Home » |_ Travel Tips

Expats: How To Truly Live The “Dream”

Written By: FOXY on May 28, 2011 13 Comments

You’re looking at a photo of Alan, an expat from New Jersey who is now “living the dream” in Palawan, Philippines. I put living the dream in quotes because Alan’s version of the dream is far different than my own.

I run into expats like Alan quite often.  Their theme is usually the same, they decide to move abroad with some money in the bank but no income. After a few short years of fun in the sun, they run out of savings. In an effort to avoid ending their “retirement” and returning to their former life in their home country, they often start a small business to make money.

You’re not living the dream until you have the financial freedom to enable yourself to do what you like, whenever, with whomever and
for as long-ever as you desire.

In Alan’s case he choose to become the owner of a 20 passenger boat service, shuttling customers on a daily 8+ hour journey from the small island of Coron to El Nido, Philippines and back. Often, setting up a small business doesn’t take much money but Alan’s time commitment is extraordinary. Luckily for him, it’s not difficult work since Alan’s boat has a full crew but he must still begin his day at 8:00 AM and doesn’t finish till past 6PM. Alan is now married to a business that occupies at least 10 of the prime hours of his day for the rest of his life. Alan is no longer retired, he’s now back to being a small business owner/operator.  Sadly, I’d say, his retirement dream is no more.

To fully live the dream you must first possess the financial means to do whatever you want, whenever you want, with whomever you want, for as long-ever as you desire. The attainment of the real dream is nothing more than the expression of your real freedom. Money is not the root of all evil, it’s actually the root of freedom. Until you embrace money and allow wealth to abundantly flow to you, you’ll be unable to attain the dream.

It is of special importance to note that money itself does not make you happy, but freedom certainly does. In the same sense, decoupling from your personal possessions can bring you a deep sense of relaxation and inner peace. Eliminating most all of ones possessions is a path that few choose to take, but is one that also exponentially increases personal happiness.

May your travels be as pleasurable as mine,

//-FOXY-\\

Tags: , , , , ,

13 Responses to “Expats: How To Truly Live The “Dream””

1. Jack says on: 10 July 2011 at 3:25 am

Doesn’t have a rich mom that supports you while you blow stupid money in exotic places help you live the dream also? Have fun in Pattaya.

• FOXY says on: 31 January 2012 at 7:05 am

Don’t I wish! It would be lovely to have an unlimited trust fund or parent you could tap into at anytime for unlimited resources. Unfortunately for me, I have to earn everything I spend. If you read the FAQ or About The Author sections you’ll find out how I earn my money.

2. gnorimies says on: 14 July 2011 at 9:47 am

financial freedom is the dream who run to earth 😉

3. Tai says on: 9 August 2011 at 11:25 pm

I think that in order to truly “live the dream” you must plan first. Moving a way with a little savings and not having a resource for constant income is a bad plan. If you fail to plan then you plan to fail. Work out how much you need to live on and also budget for emergencies such as an illness or a natural disaster are important when moving to another country.

4. Endri says on: 25 December 2011 at 12:24 pm

Hello Foxy and Merry Christmas,
    Hope you are well!!

My name is Endri, and I am a part (me and my best friend) of a new travel blog called TripandTravelblog. I really like reading your blog, and I think your readers would be interested in what TripandTravelblog has to offer. We think our website would be a great fit for the blogs that you follow.

If you want to link us, our site is: tripandtravelblog.com
    Regardless, if you are going to link us your blog ROCKS : ))
    Cheers,
    Endri

5. Martin says on: 26 December 2011 at 5:52 pm

Great post. I removed myself from a conventional life of being stuck in the place I was born and startyed moving around almost 12 years ago at the age of 35. I’ve now nailed it.. financially and otherwise. Get in touch if you like

• FOXY says on: 31 January 2012 at 3:27 am

Hey Martin,

We’ve got a lot in common. I wish you all the best in your travels, life and financial successes.

6. Biomass says on: 31 January 2012 at 9:25 am

This is the true of life. Financial freedom = Living the dream
    Biomass recently posted..Βιομάζα και βιοκαύσιμα

7. Jane bell says on: 28 February 2012 at 1:46 am

I have spent today looking at your pictures and all your thoughts on each country. I know your having a great time and getting a great education. There is nothing to compare the great time seeing all the countries. I have really enjoyed talking to you mom and sharing with her ideas we did overseas. I am going again with you from my seat in our house.

Thanks for sharing